Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Walkabout Experience

I had gone to explore the night life of this part of the city with a couple of friends of mine. It was here that I was introduced to something that completely took me by surprise. It was a cultural niche invented by the Australians, the infamous 'Walkabout'. The atmosphere was quite unique. It was a hybrid of a pub and a disco. The subtlety of the pub was there, but was cocktailed with the disco element that made people dance due to the lack of seats.


In the centre of all of this, I stood absorbing this cultural input. However, as the input started to stagnate I started to notice something else. The concentration of human abominations was alarmingly high. Wherever I looked I saw nothing but genetic crimes against humanity. It was evident that the corrupted segment of the Human gene pool had decided to party here tonight, and while I stood finishing one drink after the other, I was struck by a crude realization of how some of these beings would go home to fornicate and possibly reproduce some mutant offspring that was twice as vile as themselves. In this environment I was indeed a prostitute against my own will, because I would have to be paid to have any type of sexual interaction with the opposite gender.


We left after a few hours and on our way home, we came across of one those poor homeless souls. This one was extremely proactive and very aggressive, when it came to asking for money. I wasn't scared, but was surprised at this overly desperate behaviour.

It was getting pretty tiresome to always have to hand out money or cigarettes to those less fortunate. It was a constant battle trying to endure the guilt trips. Perhaps this was why the people in this city quietly ignored everything and everyone around them to filter out the poverty and misery. Maybe some day I would be like them. I would walk blindly past those, who were less fortunate holding out their hand with the faint hope that, I would drop a coin into their palm. I was hoping that I would never follow this creed of social apathy, because it was undeniable that the benevolent nature in me was slowly starting to decay...

Edward T. Shufflebottom

No comments: